Smart Telecommunications just recently introduced their Smart Buddy Unli Surf plan, an unlimited Internet service for mobile internet users in the Philippines that allows you to connect to the Internet using your cellphones. Did you know that your cellphone can also be used as a modem for your laptop? Aside from using Joikuspot, a software that converts your mobile phones into a Wifi hotspot. You can use Smart Buddy’s Unli Surf service and avail of an unlimited Internet access via your preferred prepaid plans P50 for one day, P300 for 1 week, and P1,200 for one month using your cellphone as an internet modem. This is very helpful when you are traveling in far away places where there’s no Wifi or internet connection available. As long as there’s a cellphone signal with 3G or GPRS speed available, you can surf your way to the internet anytime you want with Smart Unli Surf plan.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to connect to the internet using your mobile phone as a modem:
Wireless connection via Bluetooth enabled cell phone to a Bluetooth enabled laptop
- Turn on your Bluetooth enabled cellphone and turn on the Bluetooth connection software. (If your laptop is not already Bluetooth enabled, you can purchase a USB Bluetooth adapter)
- Make the phone discoverable.
- In Windows XP on the laptop go to My Bluetooth Places.
- Select View Devices in Range.
- After the discovery process is complete, you should see the icon for the cell phone.
- Right-click on the icon and select Discover Available Services.
- To connect to your cell phone right-click on the Dial-Up Networking.
- Select Connect Dial-up networking.
- The phone will ask if you want to accept the connection request, decline or add to paired.
- The last step pairs the phone and laptop and performs the connection request.
- You will be prompted to enter a PIN code to pair up the devices, the PIN is entered in the cell phone.
- A dialogue box appears asking for user name, password and the phone number of your ISP.
- Click on the dial button to complete the connection.
You can also connect to the internet via PC suite or other software provided by your cellular phone unit. Thus by far, the easiest if you’re using a Nokia PC suite or any other cellphone-to-PC software cause you’ll just be connecting directly to your laptop using a USB cable.